Fried Green Tomatoes and Other Southern Specials



In summer wrap-up post I mentioned our trip to Atlanta, a place I had not been before. The purpose/excuse for going on the trip was a "work-thing" Glenn had to attend for Chick-fil-A. Seeing as a favorite friend of ours lives in Atlanta and her boyfriend also happens to be Glenn's boss, we figured this would be a good excuse for all of us to go!

Glenn was scheduled to land about 2 hours before me, but the plan was for him to just wait at the airport and then the two of us would take a cab to the Dwarf House, where Matt and Jessica would be waiting (did I mention that Jessica did not know we were coming? She likes surprises, or so we decided). The two hour difference turned into 5 because United is just that good at delaying flights. When I finally hopped off the plane I was ready to eat a horse, and really ready to be out of the airport.

We headed to The Original Dwarf House at about 2 a.m. and it was quite the experience. They served things I didn't think existed. It was everything you hear about a down home Southern place. Picture this: chicken nuggets, smothered in gravy, topped with cheese. For real. My arteries cried out in agony but I had to have at least two bites. Come on, I was in the South!

One of my few culinary demands for while we were in Atlanta was to try fried green tomatoes. Ever since I saw the movie I felt like they would be good. I also felt like they should not have let Chris O'Donnell die. Don't you think they could have lived happily ever after and still come up with some good drama to keep us watching for an hour?

We tried fried green tomatoes at two different locations. The ones pictured above were my favorites. They had (what else?) goat cheese!! and caramelized, spiced pecans on top. I think I might try to re-create the recipe at home with the heirlooms I saw at Vons last week. Be watching for that post...




Other Southern specialties included - fried chicken with grits (which I never thought I liked, but I tried some of Jessica's and it was delicious!), a loaded baked potato with LOTS of BBQ pork and American cheese (the only negative) and this fantastic shrimp/gumbo/grits thing that had the perfect blend of spice and fat.



All in all, a successful first trip to Atlanta, I would say.

No comments: