Jamming and Christmas Gifts


Last year Glenn and I decided to make cranberry apple preserves to give to friends and family for Christmas. We spent a day learning how to safely can and seal said preserves, tied festive bows around them, and everyone was happy. This year I wanted home made strawberry jam, as there is nothing better than freshly baked bread smothered in jam that tastes only of strawberries and sugar and was made by someone you love.

Like most adventures, the strawberry jam making day began at Costco where we saw HUGE containers full of fresh strawberries and decided we simply must have them. After sitting around for a day or two, it was time to wash and remove the stems. Sounds thrilling, I know. The exciting part came when I almost sliced my finger off trying to remove a rotten part of one of the berries. Cuh-razy.


Once the stems are removed, we had to smash the berries, one layer at a time. Off to the pot they went, an incredible amount of sugar and a little bit of pectin was added, and we waited for the fruit to boil!

Here I am checking the levels on the jars, and ladling fruit from the pot into the hot jars. Yes I am still in my running clothes from about 5 hours earlier. Yum.


Twist the cap on, and you're done!! Merry Christmas, bloggies!

6 comments:

rachel said...

What a sweet gift. Your friends will love it.

Glenn said...

The stuff is crazy good. It was an honor to be a part of such a tasty jamming experience.

Anonymous said...

With a name like Murdock it's got to be good!

Amy said...

UM AM I A FRIEND!? (says to self: "please say yes, please say yes!") i LOOOOOOVE jam! As I read this post this morning, I was actually eating toast wishing I had some jam to put on it. I had to resort to peanut butter and cinnamon and sugar. :(

Sandra said...

Can't wait to get mine in the mail!

Kimly said...

I made this too!!! They looked just like yours :) yay. we should make jam together its soooo good :)