Avoidance, Truth, and Measuring Tape

This week was filled to the brim with fun activities, reasons to go out to eat, and delicious wines sampled by the glass with friends from all over. It was also filled with me avoiding the gym and my running shoes. I try to tell myself I am avoiding running because my shoes are hurting and I need new ones yet can't seem to find what seems the entire paycheck it takes to get them... but that's not really true. I have been avoiding running and the gym because I'm laaazzzzyyyy.



Here is what happens when you are lazy (and when you have wine multiple nights a week for the antioxidants and healthy heart benefits...): you gain *almost* 2 pounds. "That's not much." you may be saying to yourself. "Your sodium levels are probably off, or maybe you just really need to go to the bathroom." No friends, no. I gained 2 pounds of pinot noir, decadent chocolate cake, pizza, and olive oil. Seeing as I do not want to continue in this pattern (up 20 pounds by Memorial Day? why not?) I decided to make a plan for the week. Note all of the crossed out areas - those are things I intended on eating and then realized how many calories were in each and decided I had better stay away. The antipasto platter and goat cheese stuffed figs wrapped in prosciutto and grilled will have to wait, depressingly enough.




Enough about the foods I'm not going to be eating. I found something this morning that was delicious AND healthy AND beautiful! I scarfed this omelette and am now the proud parent of a lean, protein-rich breakfast that actually has flavor. I call it the "Get Skinny" omelette and it is sure to impress even those who aren't looking to still fit into their pants next month.

'Get Skinny' Omelette

1 egg
2 egg whites
1 t freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 asparagus spears - diced
salt
freshly ground pepper
no calorie cooking spray

Let me just interject here for a minute and say that cooking spray has never been my preferred way of doing things, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference in this dish. I cooked the asparagus for a few minutes and then poured the egg white mixture over it and sprinkled it with salt and pepper. When it was finished, I folded the entire thing in half and sprinkled the top with the Parmesan cheese and a little more pepper. It was super tasty! I had a slice of dry whole wheat toast alongside my omelette, and used the omelette to give the toast more flavor. Totally satisfying and delicious - plus I don't feel the way you feel when full from pancakes and eggs benedict at Hash House: like you just ate half a buffalo.

Here's to a healthy week! I'm off to buy those running shoes...

4 comments:

Jessica said...

can't wait to see your running shoes! i'll try to save up some money and we can go to movin' shoes when i'm there in may. no, i know! i'll just use matt's gift certificate since he hasn't yet :)

perkyNbLue said...

The Skinny Omelette sounds delicious. I know I'm in the same boat with the weight gain, especially after the Easter meals and my snacking tendencies. I guess I'll have to work on it this summer. LoL.

Kimly said...

GO KRISTIN GO!!! RUN KRISTIN RUN!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!....ok enough of that :) fyi you totally nailed how I feel after Hash House--definitely like eating a buffalo....but a very very tasty buffalo. Love you!!! now GO RUN!!!!

Jacob Paul Willis said...

Love the low cal dish...I am really trying to get my figure back to where it use to be and I think this will do the trick!

:)