Recession- Proof Dining

I read something in Gourmet a few months ago about well-known and pricey Manhattan restaurants lowering their tasting menu price as the economy continues to spiral downward, but had yet to experience this "bail out plan" for food for myself. Friday night marked my first (and hopefully not last) welcoming of the 'lower prices thanks to this deathly economy' menu into my life.


logo courtesy of http://www.lavacheandco.com

A friend, a sister, and a food blogger journeyed to the hippest of hip areas in Hillcrest - Robinson and 4th - for what we thought would be a light bistro meal at La Vache. Upon arriving, we noticed a special menu advertised on the tables - the "Bail Out" Menu. Having limited funds and unlimited appetites, we promptly decided it would be necessary to order more than originally intended. We started, as most great evenings do, with a bottle of the house Cabernet Sauvignon. A French Cabernet, this wine had more depth and less "oomph" than it's Napa Valley cousin, all for the lovely price of $13! You would think it would be awful, but truly, it was not.

One of my favorite things about La Vache, Bail Out menu or not, is their fresh, crusty bread and herb butter. The bread is always brought out at the perfect temperature, the butter spreads easily but also melts onto the bread, flavoring it with fresh herbs and a slight sweetness in every bite. La Vache, in addition to Bread and Cie, is proof that man can live on bread (and wine) alone. Another favorite thing: you can draw on the tablecloth.



Next up we figured out our entrees. We ordered a cheese pizza (thin, crispy, covered in a simple tomato sauce and a few handfuls of cheese), the beef bourguignon, and the pasta al pistou. Also on the bail out menu is a smaller version of La Vache's cassoulet, which I highly recommend. The bail out versions do not come in their own cast iron pots, but they are $5 less per dish, so take your pick. The evening's favorite had to be the pasta al pistou - a simple, creamy pesto sauce with perfectly cooked pasta. There was also more than enough food for the 3 of us, so we each had the opportunity to take home the extras and eat them the next day! Luckily, pasta, stew, and pizza all taste good the 2nd time around, as opposed to the halibut I once tried to reheat in the microwave at work.

I think I like the regular menu a little more than the bail out menu at La Vache, but my favorite things about the restaurant are available for significantly lower cost; the bread and butter, fun French wine, and a great atmosphere where you can draw on the tables. If nothing else, this menu allows me (and hopefully you!) to experience La Vache more regularly. That, in my book, is certainly bail out worthy!

La Vache
420 Robinson Ave, San Diego, 92103
(619) 295-0214

http://www.lavacheandco.com

4 comments:

Corrie said...

You forgot to mention how delightfully handsome the waiter with his little French Accent was.... whats a French restaurant without one of those?

Kimly said...

I love LaVache!!! I went there so long ago with my french class :) I need to stop reading your blog because it makes me want real food.

Bronson Pate said...

I think I'm the one that ended up eating that reheated halibut...speaking of bailouts.

perkyNbLue said...

This sounds amazing! Maybe I can convince Greg to take me next week for my birthday. I can't wait to color on the table!! :D