Strawberry Ice Cream


As the weather has been getting closer to what summer in San Diego looks like, we decided to have an inaugural BBQ (which, apparently, in the South is called a 'grill out' as BBQ only involves things that actually have BBQ sauce on them) on our patio. Every good BBQ needs at least one 'stand out' item, and my guess was the Kirkland kielbasa and turkey dogs weren't going to rule supreme in that arena, so I had better come up with a clever side dish or dessert.

In comes the huge ice cream maker a friend's Mom gave to me last year. "Why don't I make ice cream?" I asked Glenn. "Of course! Yes!" he cheered enthusiastically. And so it was decided. I would make ice cream for the BBQ and everyone would love it.

We came to the conclusion that strawberry ice cream would be the best route, as it was fresh and summery and strawberries are already available all over town. I purchased a few pounds of fresh red berries, half the dairy section of my local Vons, and a lot of ice. Making ice cream is much simpler than I rememberd, all you really have to do is get the ingredients together, warm them up, and then throw them into the ice cream maker, ensuring ice is covering all parts of the maker for the next 20-40 minutes.

A photo documentary of the steps:




5 cups of pureed strawberries and more lactose than the average cow can produe in her lifetime later, it was time to pour my strawberry cream deliciousness into the ice cream maker. I monitored it fairly closely, adding ice as necessary, and covering each layer of ice with a nice heap of rock salt. Flavorful, fresh, and ready to welcome in summer - our strawberry ice cream was a hit!

3 comments:

Amy said...

i would like some of that. right. now.

perkyNbLue said...

That sounds fantastic. :)

Kim said...

Mmm..and it was delicious! Melba would be so proud!