The Regulars


I have been eating out a lot lately. A lot. I can blame it on Jessica's visit, I can blame it on the gift cards we have purchased and received lately, I can blame it on not having time to go to the grocery store after work... but really, who am I kidding, I love to eat out and so it doesn't exactly take twisting my arm to get me to go.

One thing I have not been doing is eating at new places. We have been spending a good deal of time at the old stand-by's which has given me the opportunity to try new things. Today's post is dedicated to a few 'fall-back' restaurants and new things I've tried there. See, you can teach an old cat new tricks. Or is that dog? I don't know, that's why I write about food.

First up: C Level. You can all join in unison and roll your eyes at me. I KNOW I always go to C Level. It's totally my old stand by. I know the menu inside and out. I know the wine flights inside and out. The wine flights and menu both taste better when sitting on the heated patio on a day other than Friday or Saturday, as this is one place whose quality suffers when super busy. You're sick of hearing about how I'll never get over them getting over the lobster artichoke fondue (cue horrible yet somehow uber popular Expose song from the early 90's), how the seared ahi sandwich and lobster mac and cheese are my favorite items on the menu, and exactly why the regular burger was significantly better than the Kobe burger is. Relax, friends, I know I've said it all before... that is why I bring you: A NEW MENU ITEM!!!!!!!


This is not just any new menu item, it's my new favorite menu item and the dish I have ordered the last three times I have visited C Level. Everything Crusted Ahi is it's name, and Deborah (we're on a first name basis despite the fact that I've only met her half a time. I will introduce myself to her one of these evenings) pairs it with black rice, a lovely pineapple salsa, and a little bit of wasabi. Light, flavorful, and very fresh - this ahi dish is perfect with the eclectic or fruity white flight.

Next on the list, Hash House A Go Go. Hash House, which has become a Matt Hughes staple, is my favorite place to go when celebrating at breakfast time. Whether it's post-race, pre-workday, or the start of a great birthday - Hash House is a fun place to start your morning. My most recent trip was to celebrate my sister Corrie's (picture above) birthday! She turned 24 (which means I am getting old) and we figured, why not ring in this year with enormous amounts of Benedict?




The Eggs Benedict (in this case, Roasted Chicken Benedict) was a new dish for me, as we generally do a hash and a pancake. Glenn, of course, had to get his favorite Snickers pancake in addition to the 3.5 pounds of mashed potato-biscuit-egg-chicken-hollandaise goodness that was on my plate. This may have been the best thing I've ever ordered at Hash House. I thought they had it made with the hashes, but no, the Benedict was out of this world. More food than any man (or horse) should consume in two days, but the thing is, it actually tastes really good, too.



My final restaurant is one I do not have any pictures from, mostly because everything is too good to stop and take pictures of. It is also not a place I have blogged about in the past, but if you follow me on Twitter, you will know that I have been there four (FOUR!) times in the last two weeks. Bronx Pizza. This might be the best pizza I've ever eaten in my life. Actually, I take that back. The best pizza I've ever eaten in my life was in the real New York at a place I am sure I will never find again. It was 2:30 in the morning and we had spent the last several hours in deep conversation at a bar/club we were told was just a fun place to hang out but actually turned out to be a gay bar (yikes is all I have to say about that one...). Seeing as there has never been a time where I haven't been hungry at 2:30am, we all decided to stop in for a slice of pizza on our way home. It was so good.

Bronx is almost as good as that. Post gay-bar when you were expecting fun pub good. In the last 2 weeks I have had: pesto, pepperoni and mushroom, bell pepper and pepperoni, spinach and mushroom, and plain cheese. Pesto and bell pepper with pepperoni are my favorites, and if you can muster up 2 or 3 of your friends to go with you, order a whole pie as they make those super fresh just for you. One thing to remember: bring cash! Bronx Pizza does NOT take cards of any kind, so save up those dollar bills.

1 comment:

Kimly said...

I LOVE Bronx Pizza!!!! It's soooo good! Dylan and I used to go there all the time back in high school. yummm the spinach one is my favorite!!! Aaaaahh I miss it!!