Finally Becoming a 'Regular'

*image courtesy of www.sdurbankitchen.net*

I, like most of us, have always wanted to be a 'regular' at a restaurant I love. When Glenn, Matt and I would go to C-Level for what we dubbed "Month-End Dinner" -- I thought that would be our place. Didn't happen. I think it's too big, so even though some of the servers recognize us, there are far too many sections to be seated in and far too many servers to get to know one or two of them well.

Enter my new favorite 'casual but still delicious' eating establishment in San Diego -- Cucina Urbana. I had kind of been sick of the San Diego food scene, with the exception of Market, and frustrated that the one place I loved would cost me $300 every time I ate there. THEN I read something about Cucina Urbana, saw that reservations were hard to come by (always a good sign), checked out the menu online (everything is under $20! what! i must go!) and turned 28. The turning 28 piece is relevant because Matt and Jessica took me out to dinner for my birthday, and let me pick anywhere I wanted to go... naturally, I had to pick this hot new place I was dying to try.

It was a week before we wanted to go, and the only reservation they had available for the date was 9:45pm. I made it. For some reason I decided to check OpenTable the day of our reservation, and someone must have had a last minute cancellation because a 5:45 slot had opened up! I promptly switched times, and boy am I glad I did, because Cucina Urbana is a place you want to be able to spend hours.

In the *heart* of Banker's Hill -- aka right between Little Italy and Balboa Park -- Cucina Urbana is fresh and modern, but also cute and cozy. They have a bar and common tables for those who weren't lucky enough to secure a reservation, as well as tables along the walls and throughout the restaurant. The space is filled with decorative pillows, low-hung chandelier-like lights, and vintage magazine and poster prints. Jessica, who has the most discriminating atmosphere taste of all of us, instantly fell in love.

We took our seats and our waiter, Gabriel, introduced himself to us. He described his favorite dishes in each section of the menu, explained that sharing everything is his favorite way to go (sharing food! my love language!), and recommended a wine in the under $30 range he said would be excellent for what we wanted. ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?!?!?!?! It was my turn to fall in love. Not with Gabe, as we now know him, although he is our favorite server and we have since requested him and learned more about his life and loves, but with the place as a whole.

In true birthday fashion, we ordered half the menu. I have my food soul mate, Matt Hughes, to thank for this. "Why wouldn't we get 5 appetizers, 4 entrees, a bottle of wine, and dessert?" My sentiments exactly. It's not gluttony, it's enjoying life and the abundance God has blessed us with.

The stars of the evening were the gnudi (not quite as good as Spotted Pig's, but still delicious and better than this attempt), the goat cheese and apricot spread (which, unfortunately, they have removed to make room for new spring flavors), the fried squash blossoms, the pork chop, the black cod, and the ravioli. Yes, we did order more than what I just listed out.

Since this fabulous birthday treat of an evening, I have had the pleasure of returning to Cucina Urbana 3 more times. Every time has been equally exciting, and every time I have tried something new. The burger is out of this world -- in a category of its own as far as I'm concerned. The dessert menu is boring, or so you would think by reading the descriptions, but I tell you it rivals Extraordinary Desserts as most delicious sweets in San Diego. The service is always excellent, especially when you have the pleasure of sitting in Gabe's section. And the ravioli, perfect pillows of pasta that pair excellently with pinot noir. Tried to include more P's in that sentence but I didn't want to push it.

Cucina Urbana
505 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101
www.sdurbankitchen.com

3 comments:

Kimly said...

hello,
please take me here.
thank you very much.

love,
your sister.

Erin Hill said...

YUM! I loved this place and would like to return again and again ;)

Bronson Pate said...

taking megan tonight for mommas day!