I Dip, You Dip, We All Dip for French Onions

This post is not for the faint of stomach. The images that are about to be seen are considered by many to be graphic, grotesque, and all around un-appetizing. Consider yourself warned.

As I was flipping through one of Ina's cookbooks (we are on a first name basis even though she has no idea who I am. I am convinced we would be intimate friends and she would invite me over, along with the gay table-scape guy and the creepy plant lady, were we to ever meet) when I stumbled upon a recipe for home made French onion dip.

"Voila! I must make it!" And off I ran to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients.

Onions
Paprika
Olive Oil
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Sour Cream



The onions are to be sliced into thin half moons, a task my Global's and I rejoiced in. *Side note - my friend Matt recently purchased a few members of the Global family - congratulations are in order!* Once the onions are sliced, it's time for heat.




Sprinkle them with a little salt, pepper, and paprika and let them cook down. This takes a while. I finished Barefoot Contessa Parties and moved on to one of my Williams Sonoma Entertaining books. Then I made myself some iced tea, chatted with my sister on the phone, watched a movie, you get the idea.

The scent that begins to waft through your home at this point will be very distracting. I don't like onions raw, but there is something about a huge pan of cooking onions that smells like delicious. Do not take the onions off the heat until they hit this point:



Sorry, that's the gross picture. It tastes good, I promise!

Allow these caramelized onions to cool, then mix them into sour cream, season to taste, and enjoy! There would have been pictures of the finished product, but I was throwing a BBQ that night so it was all gone before I had a chance to whip out the camera. Oops!

1 comment:

Bronson Pate said...

It was good! Almost as good as the Lipton packet...Just kidding - it was definitely more authentic and way better.