Summer Wrap-Up - Photo Style

It seems I have no choice but to do an end of summer wrap-up post, including highlights from the summer and photo after photo.  These posts generally wind up being the most popular, although I am not sure why.  So here's what I did this summer, or at least a few of the things. 

First, as seen above, we experienced the Prado's new spring/summer menu which included Milk & Cookies. I would recommend having this dessert, even though it may seem kind of boring. The "milk" was a vanilla bean pot de creme and quite lovely when each cookie was dipped in it. I enjoyed my dinner, and dessert, with a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, which I generally am opposed to ordering at a restaurant because it's so "known" and simple, but no one can deny it being a light and lovely summer wine. If you haven't tried it, head to Costco and buy yourself a bottle for only $14. 


This summer I also attempted my first Beef Wellington. I didn't follow a recipe, and am not even sure what the traditional Beef Wellington consists of, other than I do believe there is some sort of offal in it, which I clearly omitted. I stuffed mine with sauteed mushrooms, herbs, and small filet mignons.  Were I to make these again, I would add a flavorful sauce of sorts, and barely sear the outside of the filets before wrapping them in pastry dough.  

A new BBQ place is in town(Frankie the Bull's on West Morena), and it's right down the street from USD (yay!).  Andy, Blair and I set out to try it for lunch one day.  The beef brisket was very flavorful, and the macaroni and cheese is tasty and made with real cheddar, the way mac and cheese should be.  Sadly, so far I have not enjoyed anything else on the menu.  It seems like, if you're looking for good BBQ in San Diego, Phil's is still the place to go.


We traveled to Seattle at the end of July for our good friend's Deanna and Caleb's wedding. We visited fun coffee shops, I bought shoes and pajama's at the flagship Nordstrom (a Kalleberg girl's mecca), and tried Theo chocolates - recommended by Caitlin and very delicious indeed. Yes that is Sheri's diet coke in the background. 


The 5 of us (including Deanna) have been "the girls" since early high school. We had so much fun reconnecting, laughing, and sitting around the hotel bar sipping wine. 


From Seattle I headed an hour (by plane) south and caught up with Liz and Doug in Napa.  I already blogged quite a bit about CADE in Napa, so I got the general idea of our trip (awesome, wine and food filled... can't wait to do it again).  Our Napa experience began with a picnic sitting in a vineyard - goat cheese, fresh baguette, and local artisan salami. 



From Napa I had the joy of flying all the way across the country to see my best friend Julie, who I dearly miss, and who also has a baby growing inside of her. Look at that cute belly!

Along with a fun day in the city, I also had the opportunity to try a lobster roll for the first time. Julie and I decided we could make a better one. I think I would create a fresh herb filled lemon vinaigrette and toss the lobster in it, instead of mayonnaise.  Maybe next time I'm at Point Loma Seafoods I'll pick up a couple of lobsters and attempt these at home. 

On my last day in town, Julie and I welcomed Brian home from camp with a lovely grilled steak and garlic sandwich.  

The summer ended, as it does every year, with Glenn's birthday.  Swanky hotel, biking and cupcakes in Coronado, and a surprise trip to Disneyland. What a summer!




4 comments:

perkyNbLue said...

Sounds like a fantastic summer! I'm glad to see you were blessed enough to travel to Seattle as well. Ha. I hope the rest of the year treats you just as well. :)

Kimly said...

so jealous. i want to be with you next summer.

phil said...

I'm intrigued that you went with the curry chocolate. That is often not a favorite. Did you get a chance to go on the Theo Chocolate factory tour?

KelBel said...

THEO Chocolates = my most favorite chocolate

PLEASE tell me you died when you tried the curry chocolate!