San Diego Restaurant Week

A few people have asked for this, so here it is. The "official" Kristin Murdock San Diego Restaurant Week 2009 Recommended Restaurant List. Wow that was a long title.

In the $20 category... my only recommendation is Athens Market. The other places, I feel, I wouldn't even spend $20 eating there on a regular night, so why spend that much during Restaurant Week which is supposed to be a "deal" of sorts? Anyway, if you choose to be a cheapskate and only do the $20 Restaurant Week restaurants, go to Athens Market and at least order the flaming cheese because it's most delightful.

The $30 gives us a few more options:

1. Currant Brasserie - A place I have yet to try but have been wanting to for over a year. It is located in the Sophia Hotel (cute) and has a very fun vintage style to it. I also like that you can watch the chef(s) preparing each meal from outside of the restaurant. It reminds me of Greenwich Village for some reason.

2. Kemo Sabe - a nice place to add to your "staples" as almost all Cohn restaurants are at least moderately trustworthy. Also a great place to use those Cohn gift cards you've been holding onto since last Christmas. They have better offerings this year on their RW menu than the other Cohn restaurants. Glenn and I are going to be taking his brother and sister-in-law out to Kemo Sabe on Tuesday night, so if you're there too, be sure to say hello.

3. Peohe's - yes it's boring, yes it's visited primarily by retired individuals, but come on - they have decent seafood, beautiful views, and it makes me feel like I'm in Hawaii every time I eat there. Worth $30 in my book.

4. Truluck's - this is a chain, which is a point against it, but I had never heard of it until it came to San Diego so I think it's still worth checking out. Their crab is the best I've ever tasted, and that includes one that I picked out while it was still alive on the wharf in San Francisco. If you make it to Truluck's, you must have two items:
1. crab
2. the chocolate bag

3. Suite and Tender - another place I have not yet been, but I'm going on Friday! James Beard award winning chef, deep, cushy leather seats, and a ridiculously trendy hotel are all reasons I am excited to try what San Diego magazine's critics dubbed the "best new restaurant" of 2008. Did I really just say that?

Now for the "glory" restaurants. The ones where you're really getting your money's worth. Those blessed $40 three course meals.
1. A. R. Valentien - fresh, seasonal ingredients, feel snooty because you are eating at the Lodge at Torrey Pines, which, yes, is where Justin Timberlake stayed last time he was in town.

2. Bertrand at Mr A's - although it's certainly not the best food in San Diego, it's a fun place and a legend. I love eating here because of the view, the service, and the fact that this has been "the" restaurant you never thought you could eat at ever since I was a little girl. Be warned, you will spend more than $40 on your meal, as they have easy ways to make it more extravagant and you'll feel the need to buy at least one glass of wine.

3. My new favorite place - Market Restaurant and Bar. Yumm. See here if you need more details than the fact that this is now my favorite place.

Restaurant Week is a great way to experience fun places around San Diego you normally would not have the opportunity to eat at, or at least not for under $100 a person. Happy feasting, and I look forward to seeing you all around town next week!

~Kristin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I love it! I love it! I'm going to try one of your $30 options --- not sure what yet. Have a great relaxing weekend and please know I'll be looking forward to reading about your SD Restaurant Week journeys! Thanks for the advice foodie!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
got gift cards said...

Thanks for the great tips and advice.

Sandra said...

Seriously, you need to never have children. There is no way when you go down to one income (since Glenn will be home raising the kids) that you can afford a baby-sitter AND eating at these places. Live it up for me, since I've got 2!

KelBel said...

Kristin, the Cameron girls and my Mom's bestie Kim went to Market Restaurant and Bar and I think I died and went to heaven. AND, of course, my Mom HAD to go there because you recommended it AND we had the South African Chardonnay you recommended as well :)

Love reading abut your food adventures!